There’s a fine line between a well-lit driveway and a driveway that looks like a landing strip. Making your road look good while also staying practical can be a challenging task, especially with the countless options available. Luckily, learning how to light your driveway has never been easier! Your driveway’s lights should be just as aesthetically appealing as they are well-lit. Our style guide will help you determine what kind of lighting you’re looking for, the benefits of each style, and what options will work best for your driveway.
Why Light the Way?
Keeping your driveway illuminated benefits your home and its visitors in a wide variety of ways. Coming home to a well-lit driveway looks good, feels great, and provides a slew of benefits, including:
- Curb Appeal: Your home’s value will increase and potential buyers will be more inclined to purchase your property.
- Guest Care: Your guests will be able to see your driveway much easier when they visit.
- Lit Up Landscaping: Show off your landscaping skills by basking them in your driveway lights.
- Security: With a lit driveway, you can rest easy knowing you’re in a safer environment.
- Personalization: With a wide variety of styles available, you can light your driveway, your way.
Your Style, Your Way
When you think of an illuminated driveway, you probably think of little lights lining the outlines of your pavement. But, there are plenty of other options you wouldn’t expect! Some can include:
- Light-up Columns
- Solar Light Posts for Driveways
- Lit-up Landscaping
- Lighting Trees
- Rope Lighting
- In-Ground Lights
- Holiday Lights
What Type Works for Me?
With so many options to consider, it can be easy to get overwhelmed. However, there’s no need to panic! Choosing what works for you is easier than you’d think. Use our checklist below to determine how to light your driveway:
Step 1: Solar or Regular?
First, you’ll want to determine whether you’d like your driveway lights to be solar or electric powered. Each have their own benefits and each have their individual setbacks, but it’s ultimately up to you to determine which one you prefer! For further information on Solar and Electric lights, refer to our outdoor lighting guide to help you determine what style is most beneficial to you and your driveway!
Solar Driveway Lights
- Long Lasting: Solar driveway lights are LED powered. That means they’re able to last longer than the average lightbulb.
- Environmentally Friendly: Since solar driveway lights get their energy from the sun, they obtain their power without fossil fuels.
- More up front expense: Solar lightbulbs are typically more costly than electric powered lights due to their sustainability and cost-efficiency.
Ideal For: Short driveways
Electric Driveway Lights
- Property Value: With a fully-installed low-voltage electric system, the value of your home can greatly increase.
- Brightness: The illumination of low-voltage electric lights can help your guests locate your property.
- Installation: Installing a low-voltage electric system can be complicated and may require assistance.
- Replacement Costs: Like all appliances, low-voltage electric systems will occasionally need their lightbulbs and wiring replaced.
Ideal For: Longer driveways
Step 2: Pick Your Exterior Driveway Lighting Style
Now that you’ve decided between solar and electric, it’s time to move on to the fun part: the styles! There are a lot of driveway lighting options available, so choosing the best lighting for your driveway depends on the length and style of your road.
Lamp Post Lights
Got a few long driveway lighting ideas? Want to stand out on the street? The best way to punctuate your road with a one-of-a-kind style is with a solar light post for your driveway. These timelessly classic lights add an air of elegance to your home, greeting your guests with a warm glow as they pull in your driveway. Take a look at our wide variety of lamp post lights to get a firsthand glimpse at how your driveway could look every day when you drive home from work.
Ideal For: Long driveways, street entrances
From dusk to dawn, these luminous lights help your guests navigate your driveway, keeping the path before them bright and visible as they arrive at your destination. Flood lights are ideal for security – with motion detecting options available, these lights can toggle for maximum safety and functionality. The brightness of these lights allows them to work best when illuminating darker corners of your driveway or walkway. You can even hang them from your garage to illuminate your entryway at night! Check out our selection of solar flood lights to inspire your outdoor driveway lighting ideas.
Ideal For: Garage fixtures, entryways, end of driveway
Perfect for showing off your latest landscaping job, spotlights add definition through lighting to anything you’d like to illuminate! These vibrant lights are often used by professionals that want their work to stand out at any time of the day. You can typically find these lights around professional buildings, golf courses, and landscaping jobs. If you want to brag a little without saying much, spotlights are the answer. Our spotlight catalog contains some of the brightest, high-quality lights available for you to strut your style to your visitors.
Ideal For: Landscaping, exterior home accents, foliage
Step 3: Have Fun!
So, you’ve chosen your lightbulbs, you’ve settled on a style, and you’ve determined where you want your lights. Now what? Now, it’s time to bask in the radiance of a job well done! Once the sun goes down, give your lights a first try and watch in wonder as your driveway lights up before your eyes. Pulling in your driveway will feel better than ever as you give your car the red-carpet entrance it deserves.
Now that you’ve browsed through our step by step guide on how to light your driveway, it’s time to start your search for the perfect lighting! Get started by checking out our solar spotlights to determine what styles work for your driveway. Then, browse our driveway lighting options as you narrow down your options. Once you’ve found the perfect style, make sure to check out our outdoor lighting guide to determine where your lights will provide maximum illumination. Shedding a little light on the do’s and don’ts of driveway illumination has never been easier!